Max Planck Weizmann Center for Integrative Archaeology and Anthropology
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Deutscher Platz 6
04103 Leipzig, Germany
phone: +49 (0)341 3550 860
fax: +49 (0)341 3550 119
The Max Planck Weizmann Center for Integrative Archaeology and Anthropology (MPWC) is an interdisciplinary cooperation between the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (MPI-EVA) in Leipzig, Germany, and the Weizmann Institute of Science WIS) in Rehovot, Israel. View more ...
- 02/12/2014: Meeting and project talks of MPWC co-directors Prof. Jean-Jacques Hublin (Department of Human Evolution, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig) and Prof. Steve Weiner (Kimmel Center for Archaeological Science, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot) with the two track leaders Dr. Elisabetta Boaretto (Track 1: Timing of Cultural Change at the WIS) and Dr. Kornelius Kupczik (Track 2: Physical Anthropology Through Bone/Tooth Structure-Function Studies at the MPI EVA).
- 28/10/2014: Dr. Stefan Schlager from the University of Freiburg is our guest presenting his current research in a talk on "Statistical shape models, surface registration and their application in an anthropological context".
- 15/10/2014: Dr Adam van Casteren co-authored a new paper on the remarkably high toughness of otter teeth and how this may relate to enamel microstructure
- 13/09/2014: Stefan Curth presents work from his PhD at the annual meeting of the German Zoological Society in a poster entitled "Covariation of skull and dentition in domestic dogs - a geometric morphometric study".
- 02/09/2014: Dr Ellen Schulz-Kornas co-authored a talk presented at the annual meeting of the German Society for Mammalian Biology entitled "Characterisation of functional traits in the carnassials of the wolf (Canis lupus) using 3D surface texture analysis".
- 01/08/2014: We are happy to welcome our newest group member Emily Gelipter who starts her PhD in dental ecology.
- 16/07/2014: A new paper co-authored by Dr. Ellen Schulz demonstrates, using feeding experiments, how diets effect tooth length and wear in guinea pigs.
- 07/07/2014: We welcomed Prof Germán Manríquez (Universidad de Chile) to Leipzig and enjoyed his talk on “Assessing interaction and social identity in archaeological populations from San Pedro de Atacama (northern Chile) from an interdisciplinary perspective”.
- 23/06/2014: Max Planck Weizmann Center opens it's doors to other members of the Max Planck institute and outside visitors during it's first open day allowing people to see our new labs and facilities.
- 20/06/2014: A new co-authored paper by Dr. Ellen Schulz presents a novel approach for analysing mesowear in small mammals.
- 17/06/2014: Members of the Max Planck Weizmann Centre travel to the Weizmann Institute in Rehovot to meet counterparts, discuss science and plan future collaborations.
- 02/05/2014: A warm welcome to our new staff members: Ellen Schulz, Adam van Casteren and Stéphane Montuelle (postdoctoral researchers), and Silke Brauer (lab technician).
- 19/02/2014: Visit of Prof Steve Weiner from the Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel) and co-director of the MPWC.
- 20/01/2014: Move into lab and office space in Biocity, next to MPI-EVA building.
- 15/01/2014: Franziska Pfab joins the MPWC. From now on she supports the research team as administrative assistant.
- 01/01/2014: Establishment of the MPWC research group at MPI-EVA led by Dr. Kornelius Kupczik after his move from the Department of Systematic Zoology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Jena.