- Post-doctoral researcher, Mai 2014 – present, quantification, biomechanics and material characterisation of dental tissues, Max Planck Weizmann Center for Integrative Archaeology and Anthropology, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig.
- Post-doctoral researcher, Mar 2008 – Apr 2014, biomechanics of the occlusal surfaces and food comminution, DFG FOR 771, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum.
- Lecturer, May 2006 - present, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum
- Research Assistant, Feb 2006 – Jan 2007, Feeding ecology in equids II, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum.
- Research Assistant, Nov 2003 – Nov 2005, Feeding ecology in equids I, University of Greifswald, Zoological Institute and Museum.
- Dr. rer. nat., Feb 2008, Zoology, University of Hamburg, Dissertation: Wear equilibria in the check teeth of extant Equus Linnaeus, 1758, as tool to reconstruct habitat conditions in Pleistocene equids of Central Europe. Advisors: Thomas M. Kaiser (University of Hamburg) and Hans-Peter Uerpmann (University of Tübingen)
- Diplom (Master’s equivalent), August 2003, Biology, University of Greifswald, Thesis: Ecological gradients in the tooth wear signature of domesticated and free-ranging Bos in the Holocene of Southern Scandinavia. Advisors: Thomas M. Kaiser (Hamburg) and Gerd Alberti (Greifswald)
- Animal Biodiversity, 2012 – present, Undergraduate course, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum
- Vertebrate skeleton, Graduate course, 2008 – present, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum
- Tutorial 3D surface texture analysis, Sept 2012, Digital Fossil Conference, Museum für Naturkunde, Berlin
- Tutorial 3D surface texture analysis, Sept 2011, Seminar on Surface Metrology in the Americas, Worcester Polytechnical Institute, Worcester, U.S.
- Quarternary Paleoecology Seminar, May 2011, 3D texture analysis, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, U.S.
- Feeding ecology in mammals, 2005/2006, Graduate course, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum
- Animal determination and dissection, 2004, undergraduate course, University of Greifswald
- Advising BSc thesis: Jana Göing, Fenja de Bruin, Mona Pinnow, Lisa Krause, Elehna Bethune, Susanne Krohn, Susanne Schwitzer, Julia Lingner, Janina Bethge, Harry Lerner
- Advising MSc / diploma thesis: Juliane Brasch, Nicole Töpfer, Caroline Braune, Vanessa Piotrowski, Sven Fraas, Clemens Sasse, Daniela E. Winkler, Mirella Skiba, Lisa Krause
- Advising PhD thesis: Ivan Calandra, Caroline Braune
- Visiting students: Lucy A. Taylor
Workshop and Conference Organisation
- Organiser, 4th International Conference on Surface Metrology, Hamburg, Mar 2014
- Editorial Board, Conference on Surface Metrology in Annecy, France, Mar 2012
- Organiser, Meetings of the Research Unit DFG 771, Jan 2009, Jan 2011, Jan 2012, Biocenter Grindel and Zoological Museum Hamburg
- Co-organiser, 3D Visualisation: High resolution SRµCT, 3D Surface Scanning and Rapid Prototyping, 2007/2008/2010, International workshop, University of Hamburg, Biocenter Grindel, Zoological Institute and Zoological Museum and DESY
- Co-organiser, Research group meeting of vertebrate palaeontology in the Palaeontological Society, Wieck/Greifswald, Mar 2006
- Member, Natural History Museum Karlsruhe, Miocene Vertebrates, excavation at the Höwenegg site, August 2006
- Member, Co-organiser, University of Greifswald and Dar Es Salaam, Sub-Sahara Palaeogene-Project, Excavation at the Mahenge site (Tanzania), Jul-Aug 2002
- Member, Hessian State Museum Darmstadt, Department of Geology, Palaeontology and Mineralogy, Excavation at the Messel fossil pit, Aug 2000
Collection management and exhibitions
- Resident expert at the Zoological Museum Hamburg, 2005 - present, skills include: documentation and digitalisation, requesting loans of museum specimens, general public requirements, handling customs clearance issues, specimen verifications for galleries and institutions; dissemination of scientific knowledge to the public and schools, supervision of guest researchers.
- Scientific advisor at the Zoological Museum Hamburg, 2005-2014, development of concepts for the public exhibition, topics: biodiversity, Wallace and Darwin.
- Scientific advisor at the Zoological Museum Greifswald, 2000-2004, development of concepts for the public exhibition, topics: birds of paradise.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Society of Vertebrate Paleontologists (SVP)
- Paläontologische Gesellschaft (PalGes)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Säugetierkunde (DGS)
- Deutsche Zoologische Gesellschaft (DZG)
- Verband Deutscher Biologen (vdbiol)
Reviewer for Journals
- African Journal of Ecology, Bollettino della Societa Paleontologica Italiana, Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, Geodiversitas, Mammalia, Mammalian Biology, Mammalian Evolution, Naturwissenschaften, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, Journal of Archaeological Science, Journal of Mammalogy, Journal of Zoology, Palaeontologia Electronica, PlosOne, Scanning, Wear
Expert for Grants, NGOs
- European Union, Marie Curie programme
- IUCN/SSC, Equid Specialist Group
Media coverage and outreach
- Deutschlandradio Kultur – Das Fenster zum Lebensraum – Wissenschaftler untersuchen Zahnschmelz von Tieren, interview (6 March 2013, podcast, http://www.deutschlandradiokultur.de/tierwelt-das-fenster-zum-lebensraum.1162.de.html?dram:article_id=279325)
- BBC News – Climate change made apes vanish in ancient Europe, interview, 7 June 2010, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10209492