Department of Primatology
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Deutscher Platz 6
phone: +49 (341) 3550 - 200
fax: +49 (341) 3550 - 299
Name: Roman Wittig
|2011 – present||Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (D), Department of Primatology, Scientific Staff|
|2008 – 2011||University of St Andrews (UK), School of Psychology, Research Fellow|
|2004 – 2008||University of Pennsylvania (USA), Department of Biology, Research Fellow|
|2004||University of Leipzig (D) & Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (D), Dr. rer. nat. in Biology (Supervisor: Christophe Boesch, Co-referees: Frans de Waal, Peter Kappeler)|
|1996||University of Bielefeld (D), Diplom in Biology (Supervisor: Hubert Hendrichs, Co-referee: Jürgen Döhl)|
|Since 2011||Director of the Taï Chimpanzee Project (Côte d’Ivoire) |
During a visit in November 2011, Christophe Boesch handed over the leadership and responsibility to me for the Taï Chimpanzee Project in Côte d’Ivoire.
|2008 – 2010||Budongo Conservation Field Station, Budongo Forest (Uganda), Assistant Director |
I studied the chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) of the Sonso community for 2½ years, conducting field experiments (playback and object presentation), behavioural observations, urine collection for hormonal analysis and fecal collection for genetic analysis.
|2004 – 2005||Babooncamp, Okavango Delta (Botswana), Post-doc Researcher |
I studied one group of baboons (Papio hamadryas ursinus) at the long-term study site of Dorothy Cheney and Robert Seyfarth for 1½ years, conducting playback experiments and fecal collection for hormonal analysis.
|1996 – 1999||Taï Chimpanzee Project, Taï National Park (Côte d’Ivoire), Camp Manager |
I studied the chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) of the North community for 3 years, conducting behavioural observations for my PhD thesis.
|2011 – present||Lecturer, International Max Planck Research School for Human Origins |
Course: Comparative and Molecular Primatology
|2011||Substitute lecturer, School of Psychology, University of St Andrews |
Module: Evolutionary and Comparative Psychology
Invited Talks (selection)
|2013||Lorenz Center Leiden (NL), Workshop: Obstacles and Catlysts of Peaceful Behavior|
|2012||University of Rennes (F), Department of Animal and Human Ethology, Ethos Seminar|
|2011||University of Stirling (UK), School of Nature Sciences, Behavioural Ecology Research Group Seminar|
|2011||University of Zuerich (CH), Institute for Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies, Behaviour Ecology Environment and Evolution Seminar.|
|2010||Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (D), House Seminar|
|2006||Emory University (USA),Yerkes Primate Research Centre, Living Links Colloquium|
|2006||Harvard University (USA), Department of Anthropology, Anthropology Colloquium|
Professional & Public Services
- Journals: American Journal of Primatology, Animal Behaviour, Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, Behaviour, Biology Letter, Current Biology, Hormones & Behavior, Human Evolution, International Journal of Primatology, Naturwissenschaften, Primates, Proceedings of the Royal Society London B, Science.
- Grant Bodies: Leakey Foundation, Wenner-Gren Foundation
- Great Ape Health Workshop – International Conference on the Health Threat for Great Apes in Research and Tourist Sites, 21 – 24 Aug 2009, LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel, Entebbe, Uganda.
- Consultant on baboon behaviour for the BBC Natural History Series ‘Planet Earth’ (2005-2007).
- Consultant on ape behaviour and evolution for the exhibition ‘Mensch und Tier: eine paradoxe Beziehung’ (2002-2003). Deutsches Hygienemuseum, Dresden (D).
- Consultant on chimpanzee conservation for the exhibition ‘Gorillas in the soup’ (2000-2001). Bushmeat crisis campaign of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EU).
|1998||Ethologische Gesellschaft e.V.|
|1995||International Primatological Society & Deutsche Primatologische Gesellschaft|
Honors and Awards
|2010||Invited Guest of the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin|
|2006||Research Fellow of the German Science Foundation (DFG) for two years|
|2004||Conference Grant of the German Science Foundation (DFG)|
Research Grant Awards
|2009||Research Grant received from the Wenner-Gren Foundation together with C. Crockford, T. Deschner, T. Ziegler & K. Zuberbuhler: US$ 25000.|
|2009||Research Grant received from the Leakey Foundation in collaboration with C. Crockford, T. Deschner & K. Zuberbuhler: US$ 22500.|