Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Deutscher Platz 6
phone: +49 (0)341 3550 - 0
fax: +49 (0)341 3550 - 119
Machine Learning specialist (m/f/d)
The Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (MPI EVA) in Leipzig, Germany is the world leading institute in one of the most fundamental questions in science: What does it mean to be human? The newly founded research department of Comparative Cultural Psychology (CCP)↗ at the MPI EVA studies children across diverse human societies as well as non-human great apes species, to understand uniquely human cultural diversity and the universal cognitive mechanisms that enable and constrain it.
- Help us apply a range of Computer Vision and Machine Learning approaches to implement, and maintain flexible software and hardware solutions in domains like: automated audio and video analyses (object recognition, posture and gesture recognition), or functional thermography.
- Manage large datasets and build interfaces that can be shared with the research community
- Work together with leading labs in psychophysiology, computer vision, machine learning and high-performance computing facilities at the MPCDF↗, Garching
- Create and lead a team which will support the development and application of technical solutions relating to our research
- Degree in Computer Science, a similar subject or comparable past work experience (e.g., research software engineering)
- Strong experience in one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, C, C++, etc.)
- Strong experience in a range of Computer Vision and Machine Learning approaches and frameworks (Tensorflow, Pytorch, Darknet, etc.)
- Further desirable experiences include: proficiency in R and/or MATLAB; running code via high-performance computing clusters; developing software/hardware solutions in the domains described above
- Record of documenting and implementing solutions in a user-friendly way so that they become accessible to members of the team and the research community in general
- Prior experience of working with scientists
- Very good communication skills in English
- Curious about studying human and non-human primates
- Committed team player who shares and contributes to our passion for Open Science
- Experience in creating and leading a team with different goals and roles (both experts and users)
- Full-time position, starting a soon as possible, initially limited to 2 years with the possibility of conversion to continuing employment
- Salaries will be based on TVöD guidelines according to previous experience and qualifications (up to TVöD E13)
- Highly interesting tasks at the cross-section of Computer Science and basic research in Psychology/Evolutionary Anthropology
- Space, freedom, support and resources to do all the things described above
- An inspiring, international, interdisciplinary environment with leading domain scientists at our institute and in various Max Planck Institutes and universities.
- The city of Leipzig has repeatedly earned top ranks for quality of life as well as innovation capacities and economic development.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until 30 November 2020.
The Max Planck Society is committed to equal opportunities and to employing individuals with disabilities and explicitly encourages them to apply.
We look forward to receiving your completed online application .
We look forward to receiving your completed online application at https://www.eva.mpg.de/ career .
Further information on the research agenda of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology is available on our website : www.eva.mpg.de.
Back to the list of vacancies