Student Research Assistant
The Department of Human Behavior, Ecology and Culture at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology seeks applicants for a position as
We investigate the role of culture in human evolution through a combination of interactive learning experiments in the lab, mathematical modeling as well as longitudinal field studies in locations around the world. Our aim is to advance the understanding of human adaptation, evolution and cultural dynamics in an ecological context.
As part of our data entry team, you will be involved in the aggregating and reshaping of anthropological field data. More precisely, we would like you to design tools for database creation, access, and manipulation. Furthermore, you may assist in visualizing and exploring quantitative behavioral and economic data through software interfaces.
Potentially, you will also be archiving field data collected by anthropologists in smallscale societies, with a focus on Latin America. Research notebooks, informant interviews, GPS logs, audio recordings, and observational records are to be organized, scanned, and transcribed into a useable digital format.
Criteria for applicants:
- enrolled at a German University (Bachelor, Masters, or equivalent)
- experience with R or Python programming
- experience with web development or database development is desirable
- intermediate English skills or higher
- reliable and ready to provide a high level of commitment
- sustained attention to detail during repetitive tasks
- willingness to work independently and able to work as part of a small team
- able to report back on work progress and communicate effectively
What we offer:
- first-hand experience in world-class research institution
- insight into diverse cultures and anthropological research
- training in programming, database management, and professional development
- flexible work hours
- payment according to currently pursued university degree
How to apply:
Please submit your application electronically to Daniel Redhead:
The Max Planck Society is committed to equal opportunities and to employing individuals with disabilities and explicitly encourages them to apply.
We look forward to receiving your completed application.
We look forward to receiving your completed application at https://www.eva.mpg.de/ career .
Further information on the research agenda of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology is available on our website : www.eva.mpg.de.
Back to the list of vacancies