Senior Scientist (m/f/d) W2 in the fields of evolutionary linguistics and cultural evolution
Deadline for applications is 17 June, 2022
The Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution (DLCE) at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (MPI-EVA) is looking for an outstanding scientist in the fields of evolutionary linguistics and cultural evolution. The ideal candidate would have a programme of innovative research and a combination of quantitative skills and detailed linguistic and/or ethnographic knowledge. The position has a fixed end date of August 31st 2026.
The Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology unites scientists with various backgrounds (natural sciences and humanities) whose aim is to investigate the history of humankind from an interdisciplinary perspective with the help of comparative analyses of genes, cultures, cognitive abilities, languages and social systems of past and present human populations as well as those of primates closely related to human beings.
The Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution aims to answer big picture questions about human history. Our focus is on describing and explaining the major patterns of linguistic and cultural variation across the globe. We tackle these questions by developing novel language documentation methods, global linguistic and cultural databases, and analyses using evolutionary theories and computational methods.
- A passion for science and evolutionary thinking
- A PhD in linguistics, cultural evolution, cognitive science, computer science, evolutionary biology, statistics, anthropology, or related field with an excellent publication record
- A record of successful (PhD) student supervision
- A history of independent scholarship
- Good computational skills with a knowledge of R, Python, or other programming language
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English
- Full-time position, starting on 1 November, 2022, with a fixed end date of August 31st 2026
- W2 salary
- According to German labor laws, benefits include 30 days holiday per annum plus Bank Holidays and Christmas closure days as well as an attractive pension proposition
- An inspiring, international, interdisciplinary environment with leading domain scientists at our department and in various Max Planck Institutes and universities
- Space, freedom, support and resources to do all the things described above
Please submit your application in English, including the following:
- Cover letter, explaining research experience and reason for interest in working in our department, along with a proposed research programme in the area of linguistic and/or cultural evolution
- Your CV and copies of degree certificates (Bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD diplomas and transcripts)
- Names and contact information (including e-mail and phone) for 2-3 referees
Please apply online (link below). Only complete submissions via this link will be taken into consideration.
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing individuals with disabilities and especially encourages them to apply. Additionally, we seek to increase diversity of our workforce in areas where it is underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourage women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.
For queries, please contact: dlce_info@[>>> Please remove the text! <<<]eva.mpg.de
We look forward to receiving your completed online application .
We look forward to receiving your completed online application at https://www.eva.mpg.de/ career .
Further information on the research agenda of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology is available on our website : www.eva.mpg.de.
Back to the list of vacancies